Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Currently Read 1:

Hi everyone. So, with this post, I decided to tell you about anything that I have currently read. As of recently, I have just finished reading, The Children of Húrin, by J. R. R. Tolkien, with editing work done by his son, Christopher Tolkien

Children of Húrin goes into deeper depth of one of the tales featured in J. R. R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion. It follows the adventures of Túrin the son of Húrin. Húrin is a man who had spent time among the Elves, and who serves as a key soldier in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. After daring to defy Morgoth (a.k.a The Enemy or Melkor) he is thrown in prison, and is forced to watch as Morgoth places a curse on his kin, that they should all die, and until those times come Húrin is forced to watch.

While the adventures mostly follow that of Túrin after his father is captured and he is sent to the Elven kingdom of Doriath, and the years following his exile from Doriath, it also follows the journeys of Morwen his mother, the Elf known as Beleg Strongbow, Túrin's sister whose name is Nienor, and others.

What did I think of it? Well, in my opinion, it was a good read. I didn't want to put it down (though I had to do to various reasons involving real life). However, it is a rather depressing tale. I would not recommend it to those who don't like depressing stories or to people who are thinking about committing suicide. Basically, to narrow it down, if you want a good dry fantasy read, try this book. I would also recommend it if you are tired of the good guys always coming out on top and of the good triumphing over evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment