Thursday, October 13, 2011

Recent Reading #10

Wow, only ten books this year so far? I'm really off of my game. Oh well, I technically have an excuse, too much stuff going on.

Anyway, I decided to drop you all of this review that I am doing on a book I just read. The book is called Reckless and is written by the ever amazing Cornelia Funke.

Reckless is about a man named Jacob Reckless who must find a cure to save his younger brother Will from becoming a Goyle, a horrible species of creature with bodies made of stone. Will gets this curse after he and his brother are attacked by Goyles and Will is terribly wounded. The curse comes from an evil Fairy who plays the primary villain in not only this story, but in many fairy tales such as Sleeping Beauty. With the help of Will's girlfriend, Clara, a greedy business Dwarf named Valiant, and Fox, a friend of Jacob who is a shapeshifting girl who calls herself Fox becuase of the animal she can change into, they set out into the land in order to try and find a cure before Will becomes a Goyle forever.

This book is extremely interesting and I loved it. However, it is rather depressing at times, so it may not go well if you are faint of heart. There is also references to certain subjects in this story, namely what appears to be Jacob's inability to stay with one woman for a while and having one night stands. (This is a book written for preteens so Cornelia doesn't explain fully what takes place.) Otherwise, it is very well written just like all of Cornelia Funke's other books. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is over twelve. And I do hope that she will make a sequel.

1 comment: