Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Current Reading 5 & 6

Alright, another short break from "The Fall of Narnia" fic in order to talk about what I have finished reading! My grandmother bought me a book filled with C. S. Lewis's non-fiction Signature Classics. This includes his books, Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, The Problem of Pain, The Abolition of Man, Miracles, and A Grief Observed.  I have recently finished reading Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters.

Mere Christianity is basically a collection of essays that Lewis wrote which uses common sense to point out the existence of God. In this book he discusses various issues having to do with the Christian faith. This includes the Good Deeds vs. Faith Alone that gets you to Heaven, the Separation of Church and State, Marriage, Sex, Divorce, Homosexuality is briefly mentioned in this, and other things as well.

What did I think of it? I thought it was pretty good. And it was mainly becuase of this book that I have been brought to accept the fact my ideas about theology are faulty. Lewis is also pretty convincing. And I believe that any man who is half convinced may find this helpful.





The Screwtape Letters is a book that Lewis wrote and dedicated to his friend J. R. R. Tolkien. In this books a series of letters written by a demon of high position named Screwtape to his nephew Wormwood, who is struggling in tempting a man. Here Screwtape talks about how to use family ties, pride, world events, friends, etc., in order to tempt the man into giving up God.

What did I think of it? Well to be honest, I found this series to be very convicting. Lewis manages to write an interesting work where we see how demons like to turn us away from God. And if you don't feel convicted in some way by the time you finish this, then I'm going to be honest, there's something wrong with you. This book has made me feel convicted in a great assortment of ways that I can't even begin to describe. And it has opened my mind and eyes to the reality of who I am. A very excellent read, a very excellent read.


Well there you go. The two latest books I have read and completed. Keep checking back every now and then to see what else I have been reading. And also, don't forget to watch out for my latest news about my fics.

May the Lion keep you,

WriterFreak


2 comments:

  1. Mere Christianity was my first taste of Lewis' non-fiction. He's still my favouite non-fiction author. May I ask where he discusses good deeds vs fath alone? It's been a while since I read it and I wanted to see what he says on the topic. I still need to get my hands on Screwtape's letters.

    Ajjie >'.'<

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read The Screwtape Letters! I found it kind of creepy at first, but then I just ended up flying through the book open mouthed! It was so true and it completely floored me! I also have Miracles but I haven't read it yet, I'm not sure why not. But Mere Christianity is one that I really want to read.

    ReplyDelete